Tuesday, August 01, 2006

What do I "right"?


I'm currently sitting at my computer (obvious) and was trying to think of what I could write about today that would be so profound.
I couldn't think of a thing. I then decided to look at my other blogging friends to read what they have to say for the day. Of course my first read is Chad Doerr and he's telling of his vacation allowing him to visit other churches.
Funny enough, my friend Amy and I, while out celebrating her 32nd birthday last night, got talking about the same topic. Which was, where Cris and I attended church while at Myrtle Beach.
This is how it all happened, and believe me, it may not sound like it, but experiencing it was a total God thing!
Before leaving for Myrtle Beach Cris emailed a guy named Damion whom we met at CIY this year, who was originally from MB. Cris asked him where a good place to worship would be.
He gave us a name of a Christian church that was in south MB. Thinking we'd have internet access at the condo, Cris didn't get directions to this church. All we knew was to follow 501, go over a bridge and then look for a theater. This was the church. (Very neat by the way).
We left at 10:00 am hoping service would be anywhere from 10:30-11:00. We drove around and finally saw a huge theater. I think our words were something like "wow, that was easy!".
But when we got closer, the sign read Christ United Methodist Church. Well, that wasn't it.
But some members where outside directing traffic so I asked them the ever so rude question, "Do you know where the Christian church is?" They very politely asked us to attend with them and then told us it was directly behind their parking lot. I told them if it didn't work out, we'd be back.
We drove behind the parking lot and sure enough, there was the theater church. The only problem was it was now 10:30 and service started at 10:00. We were so disappointed because we knew we'd already missed the singing part of worship and felt there was no need to go in now.
It so happens the Christ UMC service started at 11:00. How convenient. Cris turned to me and asked "are you ok going to the Methodist church?" I decided it was ok.
The place was awesome. It was in an old theater as well which makes for a great church set up by the way.
But what I noticed the most was the passion in some of these worshipers. The Refuge Band led worship this day and they are great!
People there worshipped without reservations. It was such a free feeling knowing you could raise your hands, clap, even dance if you wanted too! Yes I said DANCE!!
It made me realize I'm so fed up with pew sitters that sit with their arms folded and a frown on their face as if worshipping our living God literally hurts. And maybe it does when you don't have a relationship with Christ. I don't know!
I loved the fact that they had an alter call. To most around here, that is a negative word. And Cris explained to me why. But what I love about the idea of the alter call was seeing men and women of all ages coming forward to confess before God and other believers that they need to pray about something in their lives. We never see this in our church unless there's a major crisis in someone's life, then they decide to come forward to pray or be prayed for. We should daily come before Christ on our knees and being in a church building should not stop us from doing so publicly!
So what did I learn? I'm not real sure... but I do think this. The dead fart that associates him/herself with the church of Christ is not any better then the UMC member that passionately worships a Christ that is alive!
I also know God lead us to this place of worship at Myrtle Beach that Sunday!

As a side note, Cris blogged about the same thing yesterday, and I didn't even know it.
Check out his thoughts on this at http://www.iserveiam.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally. I wish more could have the same experience as you have so we could all get to this point in our walk with Lord. It truely does hinder our worship. I love your blog. Keep up the writing and I will keep reading. You and Jeni have me hooked. Maybe I am more internet friendly then I thought. Surprising myself everyday!
Sarah

Chad Doerr said...

That's the first time I've ever read fart in a blog! On a serious note, I think you're on the right track. God is seeking worshipers and it has little to do with the name of their church. It has more to do with their heart and devotion.

Happy Birthday Amy!