Monday, October 24, 2011

'I think it's cute'

When talking to my neighbor today, who is an older man, apparently I said the word 'crap'. Later in our conversation he brought it to my attention and said, 'it's funny that you said the word 'crap'. I like that about you. I like that you're spunky and say what's on your mind. I actually think [the word crap] it's cute'. What a compliment! More than once in my life I've been told I'm spunky, honest (even too honest), mouthy, blunt and even rude. God made me a unique individual as he did you. There's no doubt that I was created to be spunky and sometimes loud or mouthy. But there is a time that I have to be careful to control my tongue. Just because I'm wired to be rude or blunt doesn't give me the excuse to play those cards anytime I feel like it. It's hard! Taming the tongue is one of the hardest things for me to do. When I get angry, you'll probably know it. If I'm stressed, it will come right off my tongue. I'm very aware of this. It's on my mind a lot. I'll admit, sometimes I forget and so spout off. But, for the most part, I really am trying to say less and listen more. I know sometimes it doesn't seem like it. I've also been told I don't act like 'a normal preacher's wife'. I take that as a compliment as well! But, on the bad side, when my tongue has gotten out of control, I've been reminded that I wasn't 'acting like a preacher's wife'. Although I do want to set an example, please never put me on a pedestal. Please never elevate me (or anyone else) above yourself or anyone else. As soon as I mess up, you're going to be disappointed and say 'that's not the way a preacher's wife should act'. How do I know this? Because it's happened...more than once. I'm human too. I serve the same Jesus that you do. I'm covered by grace just like you are. I just happened to have a husband who, as a family, we've been called to ministry. So, while I may say what I'm thinking I never intend to be rude or mean hearted. Sometimes we say things with good intentions, but they come out with the wrong tone. I do this one WAY too often. I can be joking and saying something funny and someone be offended. I stop and ask, "WHAT?" Well, my tone was ugly and my joke sounded serious or mean hearted. I'm trying to be very aware of this. The bible warns us that 'For out of the fullness (the overflow, the superabundance) of the heart the mouth speaks.' As hard as it is to admit, when I have a bad attitude and ugly words are flowing, that means my heart is ugly and bad too. I will probably never walk on egg shells for people, but I will try to meet them where they are at and respect them. I will never change who I am completely. because as a child of God, I'm just this way. But know that I am aware and that I realize that it is a personal struggle for me. James 3:8 'But the human tongue can be tamed by no man. It is a restless (undisciplined, irreconcilable) evil, full of deadly poison'. So, let me warn you now.....there will come a time that I will make you mad with my words. I will probably hurt you or offend you. Hopefully never on purpose, but I am a messy, messed up person who serves a perfect Saviour. And that's all I have to say about that!

No comments: