Sunday, October 07, 2007

Orange Peel

I want to do my best to describe the church service Chris and I went to today in Ashville, NC.
The church is Highland Christian and it's located in downtown Ashville. It's a beautiful setting.
The mountains grace the backdrop of the skies when I looked out over the city. I was able to get some great pictures on my phone but have no clue how to get them to my computer.

So this body of people, known as the church, gather in a building called The Orange Peel. It's an old brick building with beaten up hardwood floors and a fairly large stage. The outer walls of the interior is the bar area. There is a large sign over head that reads "bar" and you'll see budweiser handles on tap. Weird experience. This place isn't an actual bar, it is more of a place where local entertainment may take place such as concerts or plays but it happens to serve alcohol. After getting over the bottles of wine and bud gear I found myself taking in the atmosphere. It was a younger crowd mostly in jeans and tees. I saw a lot of mowhawks and some piercings. I wore khahkis and wedges and was over dressed! There were plenty of youngsters too. children toddler age and older are in the worship with their parents. They are given craft packets to work that go along with the sermon topic. Their motto is "busy hands, listening ears".
Another intersting thing to take in (this one was hard) was the food and drinks. At the bar area, church goers serve coffe and bagels. During singing time people would go and get coffee and bagels and sit down with it. Now this would not work in a traditional church atmosphere, but this is FAR from traditional. The place was somewhat noisy but the music was loud and drowned most of it out. It was not a large area, so people where seated closely like at a concert.

Today's service was different because it was their 2nd anniversary since the church was planted. In the future they do hope to have their own building but until then, the orange peel is working great with about 350 strong!
So, as I mentioned today's service was different in that we sang some opening songs (very cool) and then they played vidoes of the past events that have taken place over the last 2 years. Between video plugs we may sing a song and there would be some type of drama. There was dance, poetry and the kids sang a song. This was the most diverse group and worship I've ever seen. I was never uncomfortable with any part of the worship as progressive as it was. It all just made sense!
Because they don't have a building to keep supplies and offices in they also don't pass communion with trays! OH KNOW!! Is that allowed??
It was a neat concept that made me very nervous at first. They had ONE cup and a plate of bread. I said to myself "I WILL NOT drink from the community cup!" But I watched as people went forward to take the communion and they simply took a cracker and dipped it into the juice. AAAHHHH, relief! So, Chris and I got up and did the same. What a simple concept!

Service runs promptly 10-11:30. They have to be out by 12:00 so once it's over chairs are folded and put away, instruments are packed up, Highland gear and pamphlets are put away, the kids packets are put into totes, the fold up church sign is taken from the front entrance and all things are packed up and taken to homes until the next Sunday morning.
During the week they have to meet in homes or public places. They have the concept of "being in the community" down! They do things as a church in the park often, what an excellent witness!

I look forward to going back to HCC and seeing them grow in God!

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

sounds really koool